Whenever you want to install Netgear router wirelessly or make any changes in its settings, then you need to login to its web-based setup page and do the necessary function. Every Netgear router has a default username and password when it is brand new. If you know its model, then you can easily get this information online on the official website of Netgear.
Change Administrative Password
Since the information is easily available on your system, it is convenient for anyone to access the router settings and change it without your consent. This makes it necessary for users to change the router’s administrative password as soon a they are complete with installing the Netgear router. The professional technicians at Netgear router support recommends user to change this by following these steps:
- Firstly, connect your router to your computer using an Ethernet cable.
Open the setup page by typing 192.168.1.1 on your web browser
- Type “admin” and “password” in the admin and password box respectively.
- Go to Advanced tab and then to the Administration. Under it, click on Set Password.
- Type your old password, i.e. “password” for a new router. Then, mention your new password again to confirm the change.
- Click on Apply. Now, type your username and new password again.
Your password has been changed. Now, remember this. Also, keep it in mind that it is case sensitive. The next time you want to login, you will need username and the new password.
Forgot Administrative Password
If you have forgotten your administrative password after changing it, then you can get it back by resetting your Netgear router back to default settings by taking Netgear support services. But, before proceeding, make sure that this will make it like brand new. This means that all your previous settings and password will be reset and you need to configure it again. To reset it, follow these steps:
- Look for a tiny hole or reset button and use a paper clip to press it.
- Hold it for 30 seconds until the lights on the router starts flashing.
- This indicates that your router has been reset.
- Now, you can login with your default username and password and re-configure your settings.
- After this, you need to go through the whole setup process all over again and connect your router to your computer as well as the modem. Don’t forget to secure it with the necessary encryption, SSID name and network key.
- After re-configuration, you also need to connect your devices again.